Diplomatic relations between the USSR and the Republic of India were established on April 13, 1947.
The arrival of the first Soviet Ambassador to India, KV Novikov, and his family in New Delhi
(December 21, 1947)
In the 1930s the Embassy was located at the former residence of the Maharajas of Travancore in New Delhi - Travancore House on Curzon Road (now Kasturba Gandhi Marg), in a prestigious part of the city, not far from India Gate.
A few years later, the authorities of India, which expanded international contacts, decided to create a diplomatic settlement Chanakyapuri. The barren, rocky plain, stretching literally a kilometer from the President Palace (Rashtrapati Bhawan), was divided into quarters and trees were planted along the avenues. The Soviet Union was given two plots (No. 4 and No. 6/7) with a total area of 22 acres.
The construction of the Embassy. The dome of the Rashtrapati Bhawan can be seen in the distance.
In September 1955, the USSR Council of Ministers adopted Resolution No. 1742-941 “On the construction of buildings of the USSR Embassy in India”. In February 1956 an agreement on inheritance lease was concluded.
Soviet and Indian specialists at the construction site of the Embassy, 1957.
In 1958, the Embassy saw the construction of the Embassy and Trade representation offices, residential buildings, a club-dining room, a swimming pool, a sports hall and sports grounds with showers, fountains and a greenhouse. Major works were completed in 1960.
The main building of the Embassy at a late stage of construction, 1958.
Land improvement was among top priorities during the construction of the Embassy compound. The Embassy building was set with natural stones as well as a cinema complex was created for additional expenses. The area flourished with orchards, shrubs, climbers and flowers.
“To ensure the best living conditions for the Embassy staff and taking the climatic conditions into account” it was possible to obtain a permission to purchase electric stoves, refrigerators and other necessary equipment, which was very expensive for those times.
“As a result of the additional work, both the building itself and the adjacent land areas of the Embassy and residential houses have a finished and well-maintained look,” the construction and installation works report says.
“It was generally agreed among the entire Indian observers and specialists that erected buildings are an example of a good architectural ensemble, created with a good quality of work,” the admission committee summarized.
The strong earthquake in October 1960 in New Delhi confirmed the conclusion about the quality and reliability of the complex of buildings that were not damaged at all.
Russian Embassy in India, 2017