The Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of India
Tel: +91 112611 0560
EMERGENCY NUMBER: +91 813030 0551 (for Russian citizens only)
/Today's working hours: 08.00-14.00



Can I apply for a visa directly to the Consular Division of the Embassy?

Yes, you can. Individual foreign citizens have the right to apply directly to the Consular Division of the Embassy of the Russian Federation or the nearest Consulate General of the Russian Federation to obtain a visa for themselves and the closest relatives by making a prior appointment via the web portal. Furthermore, certain categories of applicants, including diplomats and officials, can apply directly to the Russian Consular Institutions.

If you are unable to make an appointment, you can submit your documents to the official Russian Visa Centers in India

What documents do I need for a visa?

You can find all information here.

I have booked a hotel, is booking confirmation enough to apply for a visa?

No, you should provide a tour confirmation issued by a Russian travel agent certified to receive foreign tourists by the Federal Tourism Agency (you can contact your hotel to get this document)

I am not a citizen of India, can I apply for a visa for Russia in India?

Yes, you can. However, citizens of the following countries need to provide a permission for continuous stay in India for more than 90 days: Albania, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Venezuela, Haiti, Egypt, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Lesotho, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg , Macedonia, Mali, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, United Arab Emirates, Oman (not required in exceptional cases), Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Finland, Germany, Croatia, Switzerland, Equatorial Guinea, Republic of South Africa, Japan. Citizens of the following countries can be granted a visa without submitting the permission for continuous stay in India for more than 90 days, only in humanitarian cases: Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Macedonia, Slovenia, Norway, Germany, Croatia, Switzerland, Equatorial Guinea, and Estonia.
Depending on the national legislation the documentary evidence of continuous stay in India for more than 90 days may be a student visa, work visa, work permit, temporary residence permit, temporary residence registration, etc.

Permanent residence permit in India or other similar document for the citizens of the following countries: Algeria, Angola, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Georgia, Iraq, Iran, China, North Korea, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Syria, Somalia, Turkey , Chad, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia

I have a connecting flight via one of the Russian airport, do I need a transit visa?

Transit passengers are permitted to remain in transit zone of international airports without visas for up to 24 hours. The Embassy recommends transit passengers to consult their air carrier companies with queries concerning visa-free transit, reloading the luggage between flights, changing between terminals and airports. Passengers bound for the Republic of Belarus via the Russian Federation airports are required to have transit visas for the Russian Federation. 


I need to attest translation of a document, is it possible to translate it at the Consular Division of the Russian Embassy?

No, the Embassy does not provide translation services; you need to provide a translation done beforehand. 

Should I translate an apostille to attest a translation of a document?

Yes, the whole document has to be translated if you want to attest a translation of a document.


I need to legalize my university diploma (put an apostille on it); can I do it at the Consular Division of the Russian Embassy?

No, you cannot. Only Russian governmental agencies in charge of education in entities of the Russian Federation can certify educational documents with apostille. We recommend you to address this issue to your university.

However, if you need to submit your documents to countries which are not parties to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents 1961, you may need to legalize your diploma, which can be done only in Russia in the Consular Department of the Ministry of External Affairs of the Russian Federation.


How can I get a “police clearance certificate”?

To obtain a certificate of no criminal record the applicants should attend the Consular Division of the Russian Embassy in person having completed the required form in Russian. A valid proof of ID is required. The time for processing a criminal check is approximately 2-6 months. We will contact you by phone when your certificate is ready for collection.


I want to study in Russia, where can I get information?

You can contact Russian Centre for Science and Culture in New Delhi, web-site, e-mail:, tel.: (91-11) 23329100; 23329101


I need a non-objection letter from the Embassy - how can I get it?

No, the Consular Division of the Russian Embassy does not issue such letters. However, a consul can certify the authenticity of your signature, which is normally accepted by the Indian authorities.


Can I pay a fee for a consular action by card?

No, you cannot. The Embassy accepts only cash. 

I do not know Russian language. Can I fill in application forms for documents (passport, power of attorney, certificate of no criminal record, etc) in English?

No, you cannot. In this case we recommend you to consult an interpreter or a translation agency beforehand to help you with your documents.

What is the fee for a consular action?

You can find the tariff here.